Created by a home builder just like you, BuildTools focuses on profitability for builders. It helps organize the chaos of construction – budgeting, scheduling, communication, and documentation – all in one place.
Bob Cain (Business Unit Leader of BuildTools) and Diane pull back the curtain to share how BuildTools works. It’s designed to integrate with QuickBooks to empower you to run a more efficient, successful, and profitable business!
Watch this “Profitability for Builders” video with Bob…
Note: For the best view of the webinar, select “Full screen” mode (the “X” in the player bar). You can also click the gear icon to change playback speed…
BuildTools and Info Plus – Why We’re Teaming Up (PDF format)
Construction companies considering BuildTools:
- Click the BuildTools Case Studies link to see BuildTools in action or to request a demo.
- More questions? Contact Bob and the BuildTools Team at 877-693-2171.
- Be sure to let your BuildTools representative know you watched our BuildYourNumbers webinar!
Discover how YOU can use QuickBooks to create those critical job cost reports for your company.
- Click the link above for more info – or for further assistance, contact us at 734-544-7620 (9-5 Eastern, M-F).
- Plus – Diane created a great Purchasing Policy Tip for home builders (reprint extracted from this ECI blog article below).
Create a Purchasing Policy for Your Company
Construction purchasing can be a complex process. There are various factors to consider as you create a purchasing policy for your company. A comprehensive policy will help you get the best materials for your jobs and keep your costs under control.
Document your requirements for your purchasing team member. Here are a few tips about what to include in your policy for each job:
- Clearly define your estimated needs for each project. For example, what type of materials do you need to purchase? How much do you need and when? Which contractors do you believe you will engage for the job? When will you need them?
- Research your options. Once you know what you need, you can start researching your options. Get quotes from suppliers, compare prices, and find the best cost and service values.
- Create a system. Once you’ve found the best suppliers, create a Purchase Order system for ordering and tracking your purchases. A Purchase Order system helps you stay organized and keep track of your spending. (Note: Premier and Enterprise versions of QuickBooks include the option to create detailed Purchase Orders, and it provides Open Purchase Orders by Job reports).
- Set a budget. Before you start purchasing, set your budget. (Enter budgeted costs in your QuickBooks Estimate template.) Monitor your “Estimated vs. Actual Costs” QuickBooks reports to stay on track and avoid overspending.
- Revisit your policy regularly to ensure it’s still effective and efficient. Your purchasing needs will likely change as your company grows and changes.
Creating a purchasing policy is an important part of running a construction company. By building on these tips, you can create a system that works for your company AND helps you get the best materials and contractors at the best price.